Sunday, August 7, 2011

Rated R - for nudity


Sorry for the delay in this post, as I was traveling before and then when I got home to ZZ, I didn’t have internet. I know I’ve kept you in suspense long enough! Hahah.

Anyways, while in Shanghai with Mom, Jim, Brandon and I decided to go to a Chinese Spa. Sounds fabulous, doesn’t it! Well it was great, but it was different. Here’s how our experience went down. We arrived and they took our shoes and gave us rubber sandals. This shoe swap was for many reasons, but I think the main one being so you can’t leave without paying. We were also given wrist bands with a number on it. At that point, we were split up and went into our designated locker rooms (if you want Brandon’s version of what happened and how he liked hanging out with Jim, just ask him) In the locker rooms you basically lock up all of your things and strip. Haha no shyness here. Then you walk into the shower area where you rinse off. Then you proceed to the scrub area. Here you have a few choices of treatments, but I went and stuck with the most basic one: a body scrub with a milk bath and a cucumber mask. I was told to lay down on my back on one of maybe six tables in the room (still very much naked at this point) and the lady attendant haphazardly threw a towel on me in the general direction of what I would have wanted covered. She then covered my face in cucumber mush (it felt nice). Then came the best part. She basically started scrubbing my entire body with this mitt that felt kind of like a soft velcro material. She scrubbed every inch of my body and then I flipped over and she did the same to my back. Side bar, you know when you get sunburnt and peel. The skin comes off in flakes or if you rub it, it comes off in kind of a dark skin roll? Well, as I was getting off the table after being scrubbed, the entire table I was laying on was covered in that type of skin roll. Hahah noooo I’m not dirty but she basically scrubbed tons of layers off of my skin! I have to say my skin was baby smooth for days! It felt amazing!

Anyways, that’s the most exciting part of the shower room part. After that you just go hang out in the steam room or sauna or one of the six hot pools. Then you shower and go back to the locker room to change and dry your hair etc. Well, upon entering the locker room again, we went into the towel room where they dried us off as we just stand there. Hahah it was interesting. I kinda felt like a baby.  And of course we were handed disposable panties and a Hawaiian, floral, bright and obnoxious miu miu (aka pajamas) and slippers. After getting dressed (I have to mention that while I was blow drying my hair, I saw a Chinese lady blow dry… ummm her downstairs if you will :o), we went upstairs to meet the boys who had just gone through a similar experience and were dressed in equally attractive Hawaiian getups. We had dinner and then proceeded upstairs again for the spa portion of the experience. Upstairs there was a whole room full of loungey spa chairs where we sat down and ordered spa treatments off a menu. Mine was a full body Chinese massage so I got led into a private room. The guy I got was definitely rough and he had me doing yoga and all sorts of funny things I can’t really describe in a post. But it was still a very typical massage. My mom got a food massage and a manicure. The two boys just took a nap.

One thing I want to point out about this place is that it is open approximately 21 or 22 hours a day. They close at some random hour (lunch time I think) for a few hours and that’s it. So basically if you ever have a long layover and don’t want to get a hotel, you can just show up at a spa and get spa treatments for hours on end. They do not push you out or yell at you for sleeping (as the boys did). You can order dinner there and just hang out and relax. They have pool table and arcade games and every spa chair has a tv. It’s literally heaven! I think we stayed about 3 or 4 hours. I don’t remember since it’s really easy to lose track of time. And you also don’t need money on you at all (the beautiful miu mius don’t really have pockets anyways) since they charge everything to the number on your wrist. You just pay as you leave and pick up your shoes. How’s that for a spa experience!

No comments: