Sunday, August 14, 2011

Ode to Peanut Butter


I was sitting on my five hours high speed train listening to some Elton John, when a lovely thought floated into my head: peanut butter.  I don’t know where it came from or who (what country) can take credit for inventing it, but I know that the US has it and that we’re not particularly secretive about it. So as I sat on my train that was flying at about 197km/hr, I came to wonder how such a large portion of the world, including China, has not yet discovered its amazingness. If you think about it, our dear good old peanutbutter is good on veggies and fruits; it’s good on bread and on fingers (don’t deny it, you’ve done it); it’s good off a spoon; it’s good for breakfast and lunch (who didn’t eat a pb&j sandwich 4/5 days a week in junior high?) and of course dinner: who doesn’t spoil themselves with a peanut butter brownie sundae or peanut butter m&ms every once in a while?

Now I’m not calling the US superior to any country out there, but seriously?! How is everyone else on the planet so not into peanut butter? I honestly don’t think I’ll ever grasp that concept.

Anyways, for all of you in the US: enjoy your peanut butter lest it be taken away from you some day. And as for us in the land of no peanut butter, aka China; I hope we have friends who love us enough to perhaps share a bit via snail mail :D

Note: as of writing this post, I have since discovered peanut butter at Walmart! Talk about a twofer!


No comments: