Thursday, October 13, 2011

National Holiday in Datong and Pingyao 1

Ok ok, I'm back. Sorry for the hiatus. I went on holiday (heheh yes I said it) and then I was sick and dealing with couch issues, and then not having written for so long.... well let's just say it becomes harder and hard to write. Irene, you will not be hearing the remaining 78 points for USA.... all you need to know is that America is awesome. That should equate to about 78 points right there. :) Andi, yes I survived 26 so you guys will too. But I do have to say that being on this side of the 20s is def different and a bit scary. Come over to my side so we can talk about how weird it feels!

So now that I'm back, the next couple of posts will be about my holiday to Datong and Pingyao. Below you will find pictures and comments of Datong.



Packing up and getting ready to leave. Fave part of the picture are my polk dot slippers.

This some sort of something in Datong. What you need to know about this town is that everything has been leveled and they are reconstructing the town to be conducive to tourist. So basically all the "old" looking buildings you see are actually newly constructed. As is the one above. It's quite annoying that everything is fake. It looks pretty though. :/
See here is all the construction.

This is the newly constructed no car pedestrian only tourist walking/shopping area. It's nice, but I would never come to Datong just to see it.

Peace on Earth. :)

Here is the pedestrian area at night. It's newly constructed and all the stores are still empty. It will be ultra pretty in a year or so.


Just good old China. Small shop on a small street.

A newly constructed "old" building that has a what appears a nice restaurant in it.

Datong city wall at night

We met a Dutch couple who just came from Mongolia, but had not yet tried Mongolia hot pot. So we decided to change that! We were practically in Inner Mongolia, so it's close enough.

Us and our new friends. We ran into them again in Pingyao.


Our street in Datong near the train station. Thankfully the train didn't keep me up. Can't say the same about the Dutch couple and Brandon. :) heheh

3 comments:

Jen said...

What's a Mongolian hot pot?

Goda Monica said...

Mongolian HotPot is a type of food. You basically sit down at a table with a heating plate in the middle of the table and order a type of soup, we usually get tomato soup. Mongolian hotpots aren't spicy. The other type of HotPot whose name I'm forgetting is spicy. So then you order a bunch of raw meat and veggies and noodles that you put in this boiling soup and eat. You can eat the cooked veggies and meat plain since the flavoring of the soup gives the items flavor. Or you usually get this peanut sauce that you dip your food in. At some places you can make your own sauce. It's delicious. Next time Brandon and I go to the one next to our house, I'll go picture crazy so you can see what it it. :)

Jen said...

OMG that sounds amazing. That reminds me of pho, which is Vietnamese. You put raw beef into a very hot soup, and it cooks it. You're making me hungry!